Today I have a lovely Mumpreneur feature for you from Karina, the mum behind Slumbersac. Karina has been kind enough to spare some of her busy time and tell us all about her journey. Check out the Slumbersac products at at www.slumbersac.co.uk.
1. So first things first, tell me a little bit about yourself and your family?
I am originally from Germany but have lived in the UK for over 7 years now. I have a 6 year old daughter Katie and we have 2 dogs, cocker spaniel Holly and dachshund Lottie. My husband Neil is working for the business too and is in charge of our warehouse.
2. What's the story behind Slumbersac?
Slumbersac was founded 13 years ago when baby sleeping bags were a brand new product and there weren’t any other brands other than Grobag around. 5 years ago I started as a distributor for the Slumbersac brand in Germany and then took over the company completely in 2012 when the previous owner and founder of Slumbersac retired. The company has now grown to 6 times the size in the last 3 years and we have plans to continue with our growth in Europe and Internationally.
3. Where there any struggles along the way?
Getting finances to enable our growth over the last 3 years has been our biggest challenge.
4. Looking back is there anything you wish you could have done differently?
No, not really. I obviously made a few mistakes along the way but I don’t know any business man or woman who hasn’t.
5. What keeps you motivated as a businesswoman?
The success of the brand, the great customer feedback we receive and working with a fantastic team. Every day brings new opportunities and challenges, it never gets boring and you keep learning new things all the time along the way.
6. Are there any new projects in the pipeline?
Yes, we have a busy year ahead of us.
1. Slumbersac is going global. We launched in the US end of last year and are planning to launch in Canada, Australia and China in 2015.
2. We are introducing a new line of 100% cotton muslin sleeping bags
3. We are working on a brand new baby travel accessory that has never been seen before.
4. We are planning to introduce sleep suits and body suits to match our sleeping bags in 2015.
7. A lot of mums would love to work for themselves, what advice can you give them?
Try and get as much support as you can from family and friends. I couldn’t have done what I did without the support of my family and friends. Although working for yourself is a lot more flexible it can be very lonely and you tend to work long hours once the kids are in bed. When I first started my own business I worked from home and I missed the social aspect of going to work in an office and having colleagues to chat to.